Monday, July 25, 2005

 

TSA: "Damn That's a lot of Fun"

First things first, for the first days since the early, early days of BOJ News Service, the hits on this here Globex Corporation Newsletter and those on BOJ News Service were equal for yesterday. I'd like to attribute that to an absolutely fantastic post on this blog that matchted the stunning success of BOJ, but, in truth, it's the other way around. It's been a couple of slow days at BOJ, and Globex had a slightly above average day. Sixteen hits for each yesterday. That's a far cry from the 1,000 hits BOJ got over a two day period as the Thune/Nelson scandal broke, but that's a pretty good day for Globex.

So there was an open mic tonight. There weren't really any big suprises tonight other than a former ASO guitarist who did a couple of tunes at the end of the night. It was the usual supects, which is quite alright with me. It's an equal opportunity open mic, show up with an instrument (even a fake one, right, Terry?) and you get to play. That makes for a pretty interesting time, especially at the height of tourist season. Tonight was just us regulars, Josh, Brian, John Sawyer, a few others and a good time was had by all. Bruce's Haircut (the duo formerly known as Slappy is Jebus, we're calling ourselves that for a couple of weeks, anyway) apparently turned some heads with Two Condoms and Vibrator Dependent. No folks were sitting at the area of the bar that usually loves us, so I was a little worried when we went up to play, but a big guy with a beard sitting at another section of the bar seemed to love us. We seem to find out more about our core demographic all of the time. SMB then requested American Woman which is a ton of fun to play. I don't think I mangled the lyrics too bad either. We finished up with Got My Mojo Workin', joined by Josh on the bass. "Damn that's a lot of fun," TSA was heard to say back at the table. I think he was referring specifically to Mojo but I would apply it to playing music in front of people in general. It's hard to imagine that less than two years ago I wasn't doing this. It makes me wonder what I did with my life before I realized how much fun it is to play music in front of people.

A line of thunderstorms moved through the area while we were down to Cheers. Even though I didn't actually see it raining I can't call of the the guys who told me it was raining liars as it was pretty clear that some sort of water had fallen from the sky between 8pm and midnight. Thunderstorms moved through the area last night as well. It turned out to be the most uncomfortable sleeping night of the season as it didn't cool off all that much with the inclement weather. Even though I was able to leave the windows open all night I don't think it got much cooler in my apartment. I woke up at about 5am, my pillow soaked. My first thought was that somehow it had rained on my pillow without managing to wake me. It's funny what seems reasonable at 5am. No, I had simply sweated (is that a word?) that much. Unbelievable. Tonight promises to be better sleeping weather as it was 65 degrees on my drive home. I may actually have asheet over me for a portion of the night.

TSA and I are heading up to Keystone tomorrow for the open mic there. We'll try to get together and practice a little bit before that. He thinks we can learn 5 new songs during his two weeks vacation from work. I think we can do that easily. For my part I'd like to do Ben Folds' Song for the Dumped and possibly Landed off of the new album or All You Can Eat or There's Always Someone Cooler Than You from the Sunny 16 EP. I've also thought Robert Cray's The Grinder and BNL's Be My Yoko Ono would be fun tunes to do. As always I have a couple of half finished originals that I'm working on. Judging from past experience, they'll most likely stay unfinished. The pitfalls of being a poor songwriter.....

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives