Saturday, July 30, 2005

 

Tonight's the Night

Someday I'm going to write a nice song, I promise. Until then, I've spent the last 90 minutes or so writing something that I'm calling Tonight's the Night for the time being. It started with a really nice, sweet sounding chord progression. I've been playing this thing for a couple of weeks now, TSA even liked it. LIke I say, it's sweet sounding and I swas trying to think of something to use it in. I normally write songs the other way around, lyrics first and then the inane music that I don't normally do so well with. I had a couple of ideas for this song, though, one in particular for a friend who's having some trouble. I actually tried to write that, but I don't do nearly so well with the serious stuff. The next idea that presented itself was something romantic as the tune sort of lends itself to that. Having not been it a romantic involvement, most likely due to my using terms such as "romantic involvement" instead of simpler terms like"love," it didn't seem like the right thing to write about. Then again.....

One of the reasons I love playing Weird Al's You Don't Love Me Anymore is that it really fools the listener. You think a standard break-up song is coming but you get something bizzare instead. I love that! Since I tend to get more lyrical insiration from comedians than musicians, the basic idea for this came from a Richard Jenni stand-up routine. I think you'll get where I'm going with this.

Tonight's the Night
Champagne by the fireplace
I’ve got the music on real low
Shadows dancing ‘cross the living room
In a vague hypnotic glow

I’ve set it up so perfectly
I hope this isn’t where it ends
But I think tonight’s gonna be the night
I just wish I could tell my friends

I’ve been playing it all out in my mind for so long
And I’ve considered every small thing that could go wrong
But tonight’s the night I’m gonna finally give it a whirl
And some day I hope to try this with a real girl

The scene is just so perfect
I’m getting tipsy from champagne
Say what you want about my right hand
It never fails to entertain

It never lies it never cheats
It never leaves me in my sorrow
And if I play my cards just right tonight
My arm will be real sore tomorrow

Don’t think I’m silly, I know that it’s not love
But if we want to play some ‘dress-up’ It’ll wear a glove
My right hand gives my filthy mind some leeway
Some day we’re gonna invite my left hand for a three-way


Pretty rough and certainly not finished, but that's pretty much what I was trying to write. I need two more verses. I kind of know where I'm trying to go, but haven't really figured out how to get there yet.

Yep, another song I'll be embarassed to play in front of my mom.....

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives