Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Some Johnny Horton Anybody?

I don't know how the Wednesday night open mic at Dunn Bros. could get any cooler. Every week I see someone cool who I've never seen before. This week it was Sage. Just fantastic! I simply can't get enough of the new talent every week. Even if I weren't playing (generally at 9:15 due to TSA's hours in the bin) I'd probably just hang out to listen. I'll even have some coffee if I remember to bring any money.......

Slappy is Jebus.... or is that Regular Daddy ...... went on stage very close to our appointed time and worked up three Heritage Festival tunes that needed the work. We led off with Born to Run and followed that up with Locomotive Breath. That tune always seems to turn heads and I'm really not sure why. We do a pretty stripped down version of it, but whatever we're doing seems to be working. I really gotta get that harp solo down, though. That's all it really needs at this point. Finished up with Monty Python's The Universe Song which went pretty well even if TSA sort of forgot how it goes. We played that a little when we started playing together, but hadn't given it many plays in the last six months. It'll get there by Monday, I have no doubt.

We figured we were done, but joined Uncle Bill and Mike on stage for a few tunes at the end of the night. Playing with Bill is always a blast. It's always an odd mix of Beatles and country tunes. The Man Who Shot LIberty Valance? Yeah, Bill plays it and it's a friggin blast! Wanna hear some Johnny Horton? How 'bout The Battle of New Orleans? Part of me can't believe I'm playing along to stuff like that, another part of me wants to do it for the next couple of hours. I can't explain it, but it always leaves a big smile on my face. Sort of like I remember sex being......

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives