Monday, June 06, 2005

 

Play the Fanfare - Slappy is Jebus Returns to Cheers

Triumphant return is undoubtedly a bit strong, but TSA and I made it back to the Cheers open mic last night. This will seem silly, but it sure was nice to be able to play some inappropriate material without constanly looking over my shoulder. And when somebody is requesting Vibrator Dependent before we even get on stage (a guy at the bar, who woulda thunk it?) I really got the feeling we were in the right place.

After the appropriate hellos and the apologies/explanations/"no, we weren't mad at you, Shawn" 's were out of the way it was nice to just enjoy some coffee, talk to That One Guy, bitch about the lack of nachos and simply be the anti-hecklers that TSA and I love to be. Tim and Corrin made a showing, so we fanagled our way into playing early. There was a pretty good crowd, so it wasn't quite the hardship it has been to play so early in the past.

We opened with You Don't Love Me Anymore, which is turning into a strong opener. We'll probably open the Heritage Festival with it as it shows some actual musicianship, but more importantly really highlights the abject goofiness that is Slappy is Jebus. Followed that up with Plastic Jesus, an actual Plastic Jesus making an appearance on stage, no MonyP, not the Kevin Smith signed "Buddy Christ" you got me for my birthday, I'm too nervous to take that out of the house, quite possibly my favorite possesion. It was Vibrator Dependent after that, we were going to do it anyway, but we told the guys at the bar that we were doing it for them. Gotta keep the guys at the bar happy, they're our bread and butter. We finished with a stong rendition of Got My Mojo Workin'. This song may soon go through some changes as we're considering adding distortion pedal to the harp and doing a little something different in the middle instead of Bo Diddley's (not George Thourohgood's) Who Do You Love. I like it like it is, but I'm always looking to do something different. It's turned into our show ender, and will most likely be the finale during our Heritage Festival show.

After playing it was beer. I stopped drinking beer before I play quite a while ago, I found myself forgetting a lot of words and other things if I drank first. I think it was a good move, though I really, really like beer. Had a couple of tall glasses of the finest beer brewed in Kansas City (with a twist of lemon - wonder what that could be....) and later joined Brian on stage to sing back-up on Dead Sexy Old Lady. I like that song, but two things made me join Brian on stage, to get away from the annoying woman who accused me of cheating on my wife when I was married (how the hell do you know what I was doin then, you were like 6 years old or something) and more likely because of the two tall Boulevards that went down like water earlier. This gets to antother reason that I don't drink before I play - I lose all sense of the volume of my voice apparently. Sorry folks, but it was a lot of fun. And thanks to Brian for trumping Vibrator Dependent!

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives