Monday, June 27, 2005

 

"Look Big Daddy, It's Regular Daddy"

The problem with comning up with a name for your band is that you will always invariably think of a much cooler name after people get to know you by the sucky name you've chosen. Hell, maybe you've even done some promotion, something goofy like, oh, I don't know, refridgerator magnets, with the band name on them.

I want to go down on record as saying that I like the name Slappy is Jebus even if the explanation of the name is ridiculously long. But tonight the name Regular Daddy came up. Crap! Why didn't we think of that before. Why couldn't the program director at KEVN -TV have scheduled Simpsons episode 4F20 "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase" for sometime before that fateful night at Boston's where, over a few too many Leine's Big Butt Doppelbocks we decided on Slappy is Jebus? Regular Daddy, it just pops! It would rock, plus we could start out every show with this sound clip. How many bands can say they're introduced by Ralph Wiggum? None, that's how many, not a single one. Ahhh, what're ya gonna do......

Started out tonight's show at Cheers with two of the new ones. Did Born to Run which will be perfect once we get the beginnng together and followed that up with Locomotive Breath. That will also be perfect when 1.) I learn my damn harmonica solo and 2.) TSA doesn't break any strings. It was the low E which on that particular song is the most important string. With Uncle Bill lending his new Taylor to TSA we were able to go on with the show doing You Don't Love Me Anymore and finishing up with Vibrator Dependent. Maybe those last two were flipped around. I'll have to send my $4 to Cheers to get the official transcript. Geez, if I'd have just paid more attention I'd be $4 richer.....

All in all it looks like the Heritage Festival tunes are coming together. I sang Locomotive Breath to myself all day long to learn it. I'm sure the neighbors will be pleased to know I've got it down. This whole week I'll be singing Mojo Nixon's The Story of One Chord. The neighbors will want to shoot me by Wednesday, I'm sure. The only song I'm a little unsure of at this point is The Universe Song as we haven't worked that one in front of a crowd in quite a while. I'm doing a lot more on harp on it than it the past, too, so I need to work on that. Still, I know it, TSA knows it and we have done it before, so there's not too much to worry about. Oh, a couple of tunes need some tweaks, we need to solidify the ending on Treat Me Like a Dog, but it's mostly fine tuning. I'm really pleased at how the set list came together. I'm to the point that I don't want to drop anything if we don't have to. Even if that means no talking on stage. This is Slappy is Jebus, there will be some talking on stage, there's no getting around it. We will have to drop the juggling and close-up magic portions of the show, but it's supposed to be about the music, so they can go.

So good night and good luck to you, be you a Slapp-O-Holic or a Jebunite.

BOJ

Comments:
My band will be named either:

Wookie
"I bent my Wookie"

Cat's Breath
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Nosebleeds
"The doctor says the nosebleeds would stop if I kept my finger out of there!"

Ralph Wiggum is a cornacopia of fun band names and one liners!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives