Monday, June 06, 2005

 

A Horrifying Situation

I absolutely love the Urban Legends website, Snopes.com. I've been linking it here, almost from the begining of this blog because it's one of my favorite website. I like the site because, even though the internet is a fabulous information gathering system, it ultimately breaks down in that capacity because there's very little accountability. For instance on BOJ News Service I did a fake upskirt photo of Rep. Stephanie Herseth. It's not a fantastic fake, but it's good enough, that someone might think it were real. The attached text, I think, makes it pretty clear that it's a joke. But, if one person were to take that photo, strip the text off of it and pass it on, who knows what would happen. Who know's who would believe it.

Most people think of Snopes.com as an entertainment site. I use it as my personal "bullshit detector." If something shows up in my In Box, I check it out on Snopes. Usually stuff is a hoax, but sometimes you run into something real. I found the following today at http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/subway.asp


Today I went to my local SUBWAY franchise, and was horriied to discover that they will no longer be doing the SUBWAY CLUB stamp program. The cashier at the store told me it was because some kids in California had stolen a roll of stamps and tried to sell it on eBay. He showed me a small in store display that explained that they would no longer be issuing stamps and would honor existing stamps until June 30th, 2005.


Turns out that this is true. I find it hard to imagine someone would go through that much trouble to get a free sub sandwich. Apparently there's also conterfeiting of the stamps going on as well.

So it's true, and yes I find it mildly disturbing. But the thing that really made me notice this was that the original message contains the phrase (I) was horriied to discover that they will no longer be doing the SUBWAY CLUB stamp program. "Horrified?" How the hell is anyone horrified that they will no longer be able to get a free sub sanwich, a free SUBWAY sub sandwich at that?

To the people who stole the stamps and are counterfeiting the stamps, I say, "Buy your own damn sandwich!" Then again, to the person who is horrified that the SUBWAY CLUB promotion is going away, I say "Buy your own damn sandwich!" Here's a case where I actually side a little more with the criminal. The criminals in this case stole or counterfeited stamps, that involved some know-how, some cunning to do that. The person who is horrified that they can't get a free sandwich, well, they're just an idiot. And it's not like SUBWAY is pulling the rug out from under anyone, the stamps will be honered through September of this year. Unless you go to SUBWAY as infrequently as me, you're not going to get "cheated" out of your free sandwich.

...actually, a SUBWAY Santa Fe Chicken sub sounds pretty good right now. Gotta go......

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives