Friday, May 27, 2005

 

This Week's Song

No offense to Mike Reardon, but I have changed This Week's Song a little early. The main reason is that Ken got the tunes up early on Acrossroads this week. Thanks a ton Ken! Everyone, stop reading this and go immediately to Ken's Acrossroads Site. Don't worry, I'll be here when you get back. No, really, take your time, head out to acrossroads.com, you'll be glad you did!

Besides Ken getting the new tunes up so soon, the other reason for changing the tune is that Mike and I have done Like a Rolling Stone many times before, most of them better than we did that night a couple of weeks ago. So kudos to Ken, apologies to Mike and on to the discussions about This Week's Song. Have I mentioned that you should check out acrossroads.com? Just trying to cover all of the bases.

So this week's song (what, no hyperlink?!? how will I ever find it?!?) is the Gloria Gaynor disco hit I Will Surviveas played by local acoustic musicians Slappy is Jebus. The first time I saw JB down at the Cheers open mic, he played this song. The first really good recording of a Patient 957 song we ever go was of I Will Survive from a performance at the Knight's Cellar open mic in Spearfish. It was the one song that people really loved when we played a gig at Knight's Cellar last August (the bachelorette party girls just loved it!) and people really seemed to love it when TSA, Mike and I played it at Knight's Cellar last Saturday night. It was also the only song I played with JB after the breakup of P957, running into him at an open mic in Piedmont. It's the only full band P957 song that Slappy is Jebus does today.

While doing songs like Anti-Love Song or Gleemonex would be fun, TSA and I could never pull them off, I could argue that even though Anti-Love Song is a great song, JB doesn't pull it off well today. I Will Survive, one of just a few covers that we did with 957 is a good choice for keeping that sound alive. While I'd like to tell you that I'm doing something original with this song, it's really JB's version. Oh, I'm singing it a full step higher, and I've been trying to add the gravely voiced thing I do in Mojo, but it's essentially the same thing. And truth be known, I liked the constant harmonica under the vocals, something that's tough to pull of while I'm singing. Oh well, it's still a great song, and we do it in a really fun way. I hope you enjoy it!

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives