Monday, May 16, 2005

 

This Week's Song


SIJ on SGCC
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
I was really hoping that this week's song would be the Slappy is Jebus' version of the Mojo Nixon classic Vibrator Dependent, but, alas, Ken Jones had reservations about it and didn't put it on his Acrossroads Music site. Believe me, I can understand that. We have no such reservations here at the Globex Corporation Newsletter, however, and if I obtain a copy of it, I'll find a way to get it on the blog.

So it's one Mojo song for another. This week's song is Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus, a song of mistaken identity. Ever been so drunk you thought you saw God? There is a guy who comes to the Cheers open mic who I think looks a little like Jesus, so it's not inconceivable that it could happen to me there.

TSA and I started playing this song, written by Mojo Nixon and the late Country Dick Montana, when Andy lent me a Jello Biafra/Mojo Nixon CD. Listening to the album that night, I first heard Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus and wanted to do it right away. I started writing out the chords over a couple of beers and had it in about half an hour. I sent the chords on to TSA and we started playing it together. Our open mic sets at Cheers used to be so long that JB would have to take a bathroom break in the middle, TSA and I would fill the time with a couple of songs. Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus was one of those, along with Rollin' & Tumblin' and Two Condoms. When we started gigging, they became part of the show, TSA, Brian and I would do a couple of songs at the start of one of the sets. It was a nice change of pace, and people seemed to like it.

So when Andy and I started playing together, those were the 3 songs that we knew right away. Soon we added Brian Wilson and a couple of others, before we knew it, Slappy is Jebus was an act.

I'll keep working on getting a copy of Vibrator Dependent, until then, enjoy this week's offering.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives