Saturday, May 07, 2005

 

"So What Do You Guys Call Yourselves?"

The Chophouse was a blast last night. I had a long day at school, helping dad around the yard a little bit than delivering people to town, so I barely had time to make supper, read the email and return a few phone calls before I headed out to join Mike. It was a pretty slow night, nice enough that many of the bar patrons were sitting outside, unable to interact with us. That was OK as we still managed to have a lot of fun. Nature provided a pretty good show as well, a thunderstorm was brewing over the hill, lightning flashing in the distance. It was quite the spectacle, and something Mike and I had a hard time competing with, so, frankly, we didn't.

Ran into a couple folks from the school. One teacher I've subbed for a bunch of times, who used to work with my mom when they both worked in the elementary school was giving me hell before she even knew who I was. After she figured out who I was she was shocked. Not too many folks I work with know how I spend my nights and weekends. It's not that I'm ashamed or anything, I just don't talk about myself very much, this blog excepted. Also ran into a high school gym teacher, a classmate of mine in high school while I was fumbling my way through a harmonica solo on a song that I rarely play on. Oh well, you can't impress all of the people all of the time.

Mike and I started tearing down a little after 10:30. The Chophouse isn't really a bar and restaurant in the traditional sense. They primarily do catering and are open for special events, opening on Friday nights only. Catering and special events pay the bills, their Friday nights really don't. That said, a large group of locals came in at about 10:30, looking for a place to drink and listen to music. I inherently hate to dissapoint people, but the manager wasn't going to keep the bar open and we'd already been paid for the night. If he'd have stayed open and Mike had wanted to, I'd have played a little while longer. The board was still up, I would have just needed to put the speakers back on the stands and plug them in. Oh, well.

This Week's Song is from Wednesday at Dunn Bros., so the first thing I have to say is welcome back Ken Jones. I hope marriage is treating you well. The song is Treat Me Like a Dog. I wrote this in 1993, sort of for my first girlfriend after my divorce (well, I wasn't actually completely divorced yet, but that's a different story), and sort of because of something that was said at my 10 year high school reunion. I also had a car accident while working out some of the lyrics. The details of that are pretty funny, but I won't go into them now. TSA and I were struggling for a fourth song for the Songwriter's Invitational and I suggested this song. I had played it a couple of times solo, but it never had any meat to it. TSA added the guitar part after listening to me muddle through the song once on guitar. Suddenly it had life and we played it that night. It still needs some work. I've got to do a little better harp part and we need to practice the ending to get it right (that's mostly me, I'm following - or am supposed to be following Andy), but it's coming along. I think it's one we'll be adding to sets in the future. And wait till I pull out some of the alternate verses. Probably not a Dunn Bros......

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives