Tuesday, May 31, 2005

 

I Promise to Play More Guitar

Someday I'll learn that if I'm going to play guitar in front of people I should do the following things: 1) Cut My Fingernails 2) Practice. It was sort of interesting playing at Border's tonight. Not only have I not played guitar in front of people in a long time, I also haven't played a lot of guitar lately. Oh well, I've always done better under pressure.

As usual at Border's I started off with I Know All The Presidents in Order. I was wearing the Jeopardy! t-shirt, so it only seemed fitting. A couple of people in the bookstore came over just to see what the hell I was doing. They smiled the whole time as I named all of the Presidents - in order. They even stuck around to watch me play I Will Survive, as I was joined by bass player and former desert island resident Brian Sharp, who, by the way, is formerly of Patient 957. This went well enough except that I kept hitting the guitar strings on the mic stand which made quite an interseting sound. I continued doing that through Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus. Hey, when the host of an open mic requests a certain song, you play it, mister! That song is moving into the "apropriate" category, I'm even thinking we could play it at the Heritage Festival this summer. The same couple who liked I Know All The Presidents in Order really seemed to enjoy Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus, I hope they see TSA and I do that sometime, not that Brian wasn't a fine addition on the bass, but I'm a poor substitute for TSA on the guitar, and why shouldn't I be, I'm playing with six less strings. Finished up with a couple of Springsteen covers Born to Run and Altlantic City. These are songs that I really like playing, and my stark, untalented guitar playing really seems to work on them. Actually, I really like Born to Run as the harp and guitar parts really work well together.

I helped Brian out with Starin' At My Ceiling during his set, with Joe on guitar. That song just keeps getting better every time I hear it. It'd probably even be better without me playing harp on it and just singing, but I'll eventually fall into something that works on harp in that song.

It was a good crowd and I got to see a number of players that I don't normally get to see. Marshall from Wall was in attendence with his Mountain Dulicmer. What a cool sound! It's such a nice background thing, it just makes me want to engage in quiet conversation and drink coffee, both of which I did during Marshall's set.

Ryan Holzer came down and did a couple of tunes at the end of the night. Previously I registered my jealousy at his harmonica playing, and while I remain jealous, I found out that he's moving to NYC at the end of the summer to pursue a music career. Now that's the kind of guy to be jealous of! I am never moving anywhere to pursue a music career. Well maybe to Box Elder to be closer to shows at Charley's Lounge if Mr. Microphone can somehow come through for the Slappy is Jebus boys.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives