Tuesday, May 17, 2005

 

Help Me Waste My Time

I just got a new Blogtoon posted on Mt. Blogmore. That's right folks, I'm a Blogmorite, whatever the hell that means. Actually, it's a pretty cool forum for political discussion, and while I make the occasional post in response to a topic, I much prefer doing my little graphic stuff. Prime moderator and Rapid City Journal columnist Bill Harlan likes to use my toons to start discussions. It was coincidental that he wanted to do this topic and I sent him a toon. I suppose about 65% of the stuff I send him gets used on Blogmore, which is pretty good if you ask me. I've got no graphics experience and other than having an active sense of humor, no experience in the world of political satire. Yet literally dozens (hey, I'm not delluding myself here) of people see my work on a semi-regular basis. Now if I can just figure out a way to get paid for it.........

Which is a major problem in my life right now. I do lots of stuff, I'm a pretty busy guy, but very little of it provides any remuneration. And how much of this kind of stuff can I really put on a resume? If I volunteered at a library, potential employers would respect that. Posting cartoons on a political site, playing and helping out at open mics? Let's just say that nobody seems to give a damn. Soon I'll have a song I wroteon local radio, probably anyway. And what exactly will that get me? It'll be a cool thing to tell people, but that's about as far as it will go.

This is how I look at stuff when I'm feeling a little down. I have to remember that all of these things I do, I do for myself. I do it so others can get a little enjoyment, but mostly it's for me. I'd go crazy if I thought it was all a waste of time. And truthfully it's not. I know that, I just have trouble getting past that sometimes.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives