Monday, May 02, 2005

 

And On Top of Everything Else, There Was an Open Mic

OK, first off, I don't know if the Cheers open mic starts at 7pm or 8pm anymore. The signs still all say 7, it says 7 in the paper, but last week SMB announced it would be at 8, and the last two weeks it started at 8. Even when we did actually start at 7 we sometimes didn't get going until 8. Shawn's a musician, he doesn't completely grasp the concept of time. Hey, it happens, I can deal with it, no biggie.

So I showed up at 8 last night (I'm a realist) to find TSA sitting at our table with Corrin, Tim and Uncle Bill Brown. Our table somehow always turns out to be the place to be. SMB and GF1 dropped by to discuss Bill's missing PA. Apparently Bill's OK with that, he has two (sometimes three....). Geez! Anyway all evidence points to Shawn's little brother having it, but nobody really knows for sure. Hope it turns up.

My folks showed up for their first Sunday night open mic. My aunt and uncle were there as well having come from east river (it's a SD term) for my neice's confirmation. I told them it would get a little raunchy, Cheers ain't church. Playing coffee shops always make TSA and I just itch to play the less appropriate material. Josh thought he was being subversive when he dared us to play Vibrator Dependent and Two Condoms with my parents in the audience. Hell, that was the plan all along. We even opened with them. We did settle down and get serious with the Brian Wilson and thought we were finishing up with American Woman (a rare two kazoo song night!). But Shawn wasn't around to stop us so we quickly launched into Got My Mojo Workin'. Brian joined us for the last two, having played both of them with us in 957.

I did point out before playing Two Condoms that my mom had met the woman I wrote it about. At their table afterward (hey, they couldn't sit at the cool table) mom tried to figure out just who it was. She narrowed it down to girlfriends of mine she'd met, actually adding in a young lady I never dated but that she had met. She first guessed 5-55, which is horrible because she used to work with 5-55. I'm sure she left the bar certain that the song was about the ex-wife, never realizing that 2C is the one who had two kids by the time she was 18. I wonder if the song about a skanky girlfriend is about the woman I dated all through college or the one who had a kid when she was 15. Mom is a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

Yeah, on top of everything else yesterday there was an open mic. I salvaged a good portion of my sanity by attending.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives