Monday, April 11, 2005

 

This Just In: The Wind is Blowing in Rapid City


Buffalo Herd
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
No particular reason for the photo other than I took it recently and I like it. It would have actually worked better with the previous post as I actually reference this buffalo herd I ran across while driving back from Hot Springs yesterday. And before I get any hate mail, I realize that they are actually called American Bison. The Buffalo is actually an old world animal. The Bison was called a Buffalo by eary explorers and the name just sort of stuck. Yes I know the difference, but you'll never hear anyone around here call them bison.

Last night's open mic went well. Gotta welcome back Eric from Detroit, and we were all treated to a Firewater performance last night. TSA and I even convinced them to play the Black Sabbath classic "War Pigs." It's a great song and they do it exceptionally well, but my reasons for liking it tend more towards comedy.

The Slappy is Jebus boys got a whole 5 songs last night. As usual, the guys at the bar loved us, just what is my connection with drunks? I beg you, don't answer that! TSA was on a borrowed 12 string last night as he busted a string on Miss Taylor (the younger, more attractive model). Thanks to Uncle Bill for the loaner. "Got My Mojo Workin'" has turned into a real crowd pleaser. If we actually ever got called for encores, we'd have to save it for that. As it is we finish with it as my voice always ends up trashed when we're finished with it. Actually last night I felt better at the end than normal. Had things turned out different, I would have been able to go up and do another set. As it was, musicians showed up and our services were no longer required.

Worked a half day today. This was the easiest duty I've ever had, I showed up at 11:30 to work a half day for a Language Arts teacher. When I arrived she she wasn't leaving until the last two periods of the day. So while she taught a class, I offered my services to other members in the team (keep it clean folks - correcting papers or stuff) but had no takers. I read for that period, went to lunch at my parents house. Returned to school just in time for a planning period, then had one class period where the kids were just reading. The day ended with a study hall, this study hall seemed to be smaller than most, so they were really easy to handle. Read a little while later and picked up my time card. I noticed that they made a half hour error on my card in my favor. I'll correct that out of guilt over getting paid too many hours for doing absolutely nothing today. I'd probably do that even if they worked me like a dog.

The wind has been blowing here like crazy the last couple of days. Living in western South Dakota that's hardly worth mentioning, akin to reporting that the sun came up that morning. I mention it because I had something intersting happen after open mic last night. As I headed for the door after putting my car in the garage, a gust of wind took my Jeopardy! cap off of my head and blew it up onto the roof of the garage. I figured it was gone, that it would be somewhere around Scottsbluff, NE by morning. It was caught in the rain gutter, though, and seemingly wedged in their pretty good. I've still got pretty good "ups" but I was unable to jump high enough to get the cap off of the roof. I didn't know how long it would stay there in the high wind, so I ran up to my apartment (third floor) as fast as I could, dropped off my stuff and grabbed a broom and a mop. I knew that if I just poked at the hat, the wind would take it once it was loose and it would be in Robbinsdale before I could run around to the other side of the garage. By having two long handled items, I was able to grab the cap, using the implements like a large pair of chopsticks. Hey it worked, and I still have my favorite baseball cap. Quick thinking saves the day!

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives