Friday, April 01, 2005

 

Decisions

It was seventh graders today. Actually seventh graders weren't nearly as horrible as I remembered. Actually, there's two groups of seventh graders where I sub, I think today I got the better half of them. Still had a problem kid or two, but as a guy who seldom raises his voice, when I do, the kids usually take notice and do what they're told. That is unless they're unbelievably stupid, and believe me, there's a few of them out there. George Carlin once said "Imagine how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of the people are stupider than that!" Words to live by folks, words to live by.....

Just checked out the Acrossroads site. The new music is up. Only two Slappy is Jebus songs made the cut, but we were pushed pretty late once again. Hey it happens, and Ken recorded a lot of stuff that night. Finally got a good recording of Rollin' & Tumblin' so the night was more than worth while. As always it was a fun time down at the old Dunn Bros. open mic.

So, the Songwriter's Invitational is coming up. TSA and I have decided to do our bit at Dunn Bros. We get 3 songs, and a shot at some local radio time. We haven't decided what to play yet, haven't even really even talked about it. I suppose Two Condoms is a must since I wrote it after last years event. After that, I just don't know. I like the new one Home Sweet Home but I might need to tweek it a little before something like this. The other ones I've written that we do or have done are Wyle E. Coyote Blues and Beer is the Answer. Martha Stewart Christmas would be cool, but it's not the season and since Martha is out of prison it's not really topical. Why did I write a Christmas song in the middle of December that was only going to be topical for about two weeks and only relevant for one year? We could do I Wanna Marry a Stupid Woman or another one I'm working on if I ever get it finished. We may have to ask for an official ruling if we wanted to do Plastic Jesus. It's public domain, but we've got 3 original verses we do in it. I'm probably forgetting some, but that's sort of a list of what we have to pick from.

After that, we'll have to start thinking about Heritage Festival. That will be a different thing all together as we'll really have to clean it up for that show. SIJ staple Two Condoms and Vibrator Dependent are out, probably Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus?, too. We have discussed a couple of new tunes to add, notably Jethro Tull's Aqualung (happy Derek?) and the old Guess Who via Patient 957 song American Woman. Andy and I were sort of able to do that as a duo, actually I'm the problem as I kept forgetting the words. Luckily, I still remember that intricate kazoo through wax paper solo that seemed to make everybody giggle. Or not, man people loved when we did that song, getting up and dancing to what we all thought was a joke. Hey, the audience is always right. I also did a little work this week on BNL's Be My Yoko Ono. Did work, yeah, I downloaded the chords from the internet and made sure they sounded OK. Nearly wore me out. I think Tenacious D's Sasquatch would be a cool tune for us to do, a guy told me this week that we remind him of the D. High praise as far as I'm concerned, so I'll take it.

But after the Heritage Festival it's all about fun again. Not that it's not all about fun now, and not that music on our level is ever really work. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. And even when everything around it was bad as it was at the end with 957, or when everything else in my life is crap, music is the one thing that always makes me feel good. Next time I'm not feeling up to it, I'll play that open mic and see if it improves my outlook.

....and that's it sir.....

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives