Friday, March 04, 2005

 

Zero to "Brian Wilson" in 47 Minutes

A personal best this morning! My phone rang at 6:03am this morning. They wanted me to work the security desk again. At 6:45am. Well, I didn't quite make 6:45, but I was at my desk at 6:50. Thats's a mere 47 minutes from dead sleep to work at a job that isn't really mine. It beat my previous best by two minutes (see post Zero to Eighth Grade in 49 Minutes). If it actually counted for something, that would be really cool.......

It seems like a month since I was last a work. That's probably because I got a lot accomplished after I got off work last night, primarily baking 3 loaves of bread. I guess if it has grain and yeast in it, I can make it. I baked an Italian flatbread known as a Focaccia with rosemary, tomato and basil. It looked and smelled great when I took it out of the oven and it's taking every ounce of restraint I have to not run out to the car and eat it right now. I also made an oatmeal bread (a real favorite) and for the third loaf I kind of got creative. I had made multi grain buns for a chicken sandwich about a week ago. I just modified a wheat bread recipe by adding rye flour and oatmeal as well. Now I've made it in loaf form, but instead of water, I used some of the beer from bottling, so if has a really nice, dark color and also smelled fantastic. I hope it tastes as good as it smells!

The new tunes are up on the Across Roads site (link - Dunn Bros. Open Mic - you'll find it to your left). Cool stuff as always. Please check out tune #3 by Willy Grigg, its one of my favorite songs written by one of my favorite songwriters who is, coincidentally, named Willy Grigg. TSA and I also have a song or 7 on the site, some done with host Mike Reardon. "For What it's Worth" turned out sounding pretty good, something that could be a good song for the three of us to do in the future. I actually haven't heard that song in quite a while so I'm doing my own thing on it. Then again, TSA has never heard "Brian Wilson" other than when he's playing it with me.

Music is great that way, open ended and you can always do your own thing. I've never heard a song and said "I want to sound exactly like that!" What would the point be? Particularly when I play solo, I don't have the skill on guitar to do even the simplest things. I do what I can do, though, and make it fit. Andy is that kind of good on guitar and could immitate if he chose to. I'm happy to say that he normally chooses not to. I was asked a few weeks ago if I wrote "Brian Wilson." I didn't, but I take it as a compliment that someone thinks I may have. Ultimately, it's a song about being depressed, which is something I can identify with. There've been times in my life that I didn't feel like getting out of bed (just like Brian Wilson did), and I don't just mean this morning. I mean didn't feel like getting out of bed for days. I'll never be able to make that song my own, but people must get that I can identify with it.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives