Wednesday, March 30, 2005

 

The Thanks I Get

You try to do the right thing, you try not to get pissed off, but where the hell does it get you? Nowhere, that's where. So yesterday I get a call to do some subbing. It's going to be for my sister who works with the at risk students. Now normally that wouldn't be something I would want to do, but since they sort of stopped calling me to sub I decided to take it. They called me and told me it would be from 7:45 to 11:45. OK, no problem. Later in the day I talked to a friend of my sister's and mentioned that I'd be subbing for her on Wednesday. The friend thought my sister's appointment was on Thursday, so when I eventually called my sister about this, she assured me that I was right, that she was taking Wednesday off and in passing mentioned that I'd need to be there for 7:00am detention.

Seven am?!? That's not what they told me when they asked me to sub. Yeah, that's when I needed to be in. Now I had two choices. The first was to show up at 7:45 like they asked. I wouldn't want to be accused of not following directions. But no, I decided to do the responsible thing and show up at seven like my sister said I would need to.

Not that it mattered. Since in the office at the high school they were under the assumption that nobody would be around until 7:45, they turned kids away from detention. I was there like I was supposed to be, but they sent people away anyway. I did end up with 3 students, so I saved them having to make up a day.

In the past, I may have given the impression that no one is grateful for my going above and beyond to do jobs that aren't actually mine. In truth, the office staff at the high school is quite impressed when I show up to work in 47 minutes from a dead sleep. Unfortunately it never gets any further than that. That day I showed up to work in 47 minutes let me tell you how they thanked me. They didn't call me for an entire week. And I thank you too.

So why even try? Why try to give your best, to do more than is expected of you when nobody ever notices? Well, for me, I don't know any other way. And what good has it ever done me? None. Absolutely none.

Believe me, if I could allow myself to do stuff half-assed, I would but that's just not what I believe.

But what do I know, I believe it's wrong for a minister shouldn't preach that he wants God to strike a judge dead.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives