Wednesday, March 16, 2005

 

SNAFU (and I Hope You Know What it Stands For)

No call to sub again this morning. Apparently if you tell them no, they stop calling you. Also they don't seem to reward people who say yes under the worst of conditions. Well, I can't win, so I won't try. But I did get a call at about 8am, they wanted someone for a half day. They gave me three choices, high school math, middle school math and high school computers. As it turns out, the computers was actually computer graphics, something I know a little bit about, but they didn't actually tell me that. No I chose high school math, simply because I'll be teaching high school math tomorrow.

It only goes to reinforce my belief that given a choice, even a blind choice, I will chose the path that's absolutely wrong. Let me tell you about my day. I show up on time (but not a second before, screw them, if getting to work in 47 minutes from a dead sleep isn't good enough, being 5 minutes early isn't going to impress them) and pick up my keys, head down to the room I'm subbing for. He's still there which isn't too suprising, he's taking a half day after all. But he's not taking a half day, he's not taking any time off, he's staying and doesn't need a sub. So I head back to the office. They walk me down to another class room that needs a sub, his sub has already arrived. So I go back to the office again and let them figure out what to do with me. They're going to pay me, oh, I've completely decided that. I'm not going home, but if I do, they're going to pay me anyway.

So the first thing I do is the front security desk, the same thing I did a couple of weeks ago. You remember, the job opening they screwed up my application on. The job they had already picked who they were going to give it to because the person wasn't doing the job she held at the time well enough. Remember that? Anyway, I relieved her for lunch. She actually took some extra time for lunch, not that I complained, what the hell else was I going to do?

After that they decided I should spend the rest of the afternoon in study hall. Oh joy! None of the kids want to be there and neither do I, this should be fun. So I've got three periods of that and then I'm done with my day. Fifth period was a breeze, the kids were good and there weren't any problems. The bell rang and the kids and other teacher left.

I had taught for 5-55 a couple of weeks before. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered that she had study hall sixth period. You guessed it. Another teacher, 5-55 and me, oh yeah, and a bunch of kids that didn't want to be there. So the other teacher leaves, now it's just me and 5-55. Actually things were quite civil, we had a nice talk about just odd stuff, about how the wireless router I bought her still isn't working into her son's room. Some "experts" couldn't get it working either, so I don't feel so bad.

It wasn't too strange, she was just an old friend. It wasn't until much later that I thought, "Oh yeah, I used to sleep with her!" That's probably the thing I was always worried about most with old girlfriends, but I guess I'm becoming an adult!

Finished out the day then caught a ride to the middle school with my sister to see my niece's play. Hey, it was a musical ghost chasing comedy thing. It was alright, I really enjoyed myself.

Then it was off to my folks for a bit to eat (pizza) and a little quality time with Julian. After that it was the open mic at Dunn Bros. Mike was back from his trip to Arizona, New Mexico and California. I opened the show with him. Enjoyed the rest of the performers, was dissapointed that Allison form Tuesday night wasn't there, but people have lives outside of the open mic scene. TSA and I did a few tunes late, very late as it turned out, pretty much just Mike, Steve Thorpe, Willy Grigg and Uncle Bill. OK, if I'm only going to play for 4 people, those 4 are pretty close to the top of the list.

Now it's off to bed. I'm in at school tomorrow morning teaching math. Joy! I had ninth grade algebra in that same room, though that's basically a good memory as it was the last math class that I ever really had a good grasp on the material. Hopefully I won't make too much of a fool out of myself tomorrow.

For those interested in these kinds of things, I've created a listed of people I've mentioned in the blog, with a short description of them and/or explanation of their nickname. I call it Dramatis Personae, something I picked up from a bad book I read once. Use that hyperlink or the "Dramatis Personae" link in the links section. From there you'll also be able to link to photos of most of the subjects on my Flickr photo sharing site. This page is a work in progress, and I'll try to keep it updated as people are added to this blog.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives