Sunday, March 20, 2005

 

Requests?

I spent the beginning of last evening getting slap around by the poker bunch at the TSA compound. I didn't know it was possible to get knocked out of a game of hold 'em that quickly. I really took it on the chin, played some hands I shouldn't have, threw away that 5-9 that would have been a winner (made trip 5's on the river) and wasn't the most intelligent wagerer. But I did not take a dive to get to the Piedmont open mic any sooner. I want that to be completely clear. Card is cards. Open mics is open mics. Slappy is Jebus.

Headed off to the Piedmont after being a good sport and dealing a few hands for the remaining poker masters. Erica was short stacked and if I were a betting man, I was playing poker you know, I'd have bet that she got to be the dealer soon after I left.

Author's update - 3/21/05 - Erica actually won somehow! So I now I've proven that I can't play the game or predict it's outcome. Maybe its just time to give it up.......

We had a pretty good turnout in Piedmont for a relatively new open mic. I got there and it was just Steve Thorpe, Glen and Victor, but people started showing up while I was playing, Joe, Aaron and Uncle Bill. I was playing "Home Sweet Home" when Joe walked in the door, he seemed pleased. He requested "Beer is the Answer," though I already had a request of "Plastic Jesus" from Victor and the unstated, but very real request of "Two Condoms" by just being in the Sacora Station. Gotta love requests, since left to my own I will always make the wrong choice, requests take the pressure off of me. You'll have at least one person in the audience who's into what you're playing.

We had a bit of a non musician crowd, which will hopefully keep this show alive. People seemed to enjoy what was going on and I had one exchange with a gentleman playing pool about the song "Beer is the Answer." The highlight of the evening, though, was Uncle Bill. He told everyone to get their guitars out (though I think he was happy that I actually put mine in the case while he was saying that) and play along. I ended up in the co-pilot seat next to Bill as we all played an old Mamas and the Papas song adding harp on something I'd never played on before. Bill's whole set went like that, everyone playing the rest of the bar singing along. I never realized how much fun it could be to play a Johnny Horton song with a bunch of folks in a setting like that. And, of course, I got to just play harmonica and singing backup like I want to do anyway. A good night.

As I was driving home, I realized that including last Sunday, I played 5 nights this week, only missing Monday when there's no open mic and Thursday because I would have had to make it all the way up Spearfish. A far cry from the previous week when I skipped out on both of the shows I normally play. I guess I'm over what I was going through.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives