Saturday, March 19, 2005

 

Mousetraped

I spent $25 dollars this morning. It was on something that has affected my life greatly since I bought. Last night the mouse for my computer died as I was trying to download some Steve Thorpe songs off of the acrossroads site. So I had supper, tried to revive the mouse a few times but decided it would be best to just by a new one. I headed out to Office Depot or Office Max, I honestly can't tell them apart, to buy a new one. Whichever store I went to (you know, the one in "The Gap") was closed because I live in Rapid City. So I just kept driving and ended up at the Canyon Lake Chop House and thought I'd drop in on Mike Reardon. I honestly didn't go there to play, but the first thing Mike asked was if I had my harps. I did, so I ended up doing a couple of songs with him.

But back to the mouse. I never realized how much I depend on the stupid thing. A big portion of my communication with other folks is with my computer, either email or IM. Well, that was out, as well as surfing the net or listening to music since my whole CD collection is encoded to mp3. This morning I couldn't read the paper on-line like I do most mornings. In short my life was sort of turned on its ear. So first thing this morning I headed out to the Mac shop to buy a new mouse. Turns out I didn't need to head out first thing in the morning since the store didn't open until 10am because I live in Rapid City. In any case, I bought the new mouse, plugged it in first thing when I got home and my life has been back to normal ever since. Whew!

It got me to thinking what would happen if my computer ever got destroyed/lost/stolen. My life is in there. I don't keep a paper address book any more because all of that is on the computer. I have thousands of photos that only exist on my hard drive as well as video and text files of songs I've written or are working on. For 14 hours I couldn't access any of that. What would I do if I could never access any of that information again? Face it, I'm mousetrapped.

I suppose I ought to do something to change the situation, but the computer is just so damn convenient for keeping my information. And there's just so much information that printing/copying it would be a daunting task. I gotta do something, though, and soon. I suppose that's a task for the next couple of weeks.

Steve Thorpe is hosting a new open mic in Piedmont. It's tonight (Saturday) at the Sacora Station. He used to host an open mic at the same location on Tuesday nights. I played that show solo as TSA works on Tuesday nights which is good for me. I think it makes me appreciate Andy that much more when I try to play guitar for myself. Damn, I'm really not that good! For what ever reason, the locals who attended that show loved me. First off it was a bar, and all the patrons tended to sit at the bar. Right there I've got a leg up. People who sit at the bar love me. Then, because it is a bar, I was able to play the material I can't play at Dunn Bros. Hey, I'm all in favor of an all ages show, but sometimes I just want to get filthy. That's what I did at Sacora Station. My efforts were appreciated. I have no idea what kind of crowd will be there tonight, but I hope it's like the ones that were there last time I played there. Well, I hope there's more people as the lack of customers was the reason the Tuesday night show shut down.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives