Thursday, February 24, 2005

 

Reggae Style

Since I didn't get called in to work yesterday, I was able to hit church in the morning and have chili with the folks at Dad's Vet's organization. Love having chili with those guys, it's always so much fun for me. There's the one guy who now always asks me about Jeopardy! and what's going on on the current show like since I've been on the show that I'm privie to a newsletter that tells me if Ken Jennings wins the new tournament or what-not. Don't get me wrong, I love talking about Jeopardy! That's one of the things, along with beer, that I can talk about all day long.

The folks had a funeral after chili, so I took Julian from them while they did that. He fell asleep in the car on the way back to my place, so watching him wasn't a hassle at all. He woke up a while later crying, but the folks called right after that and said they were on their way to my place. I packed up the boy and took him downstairs. Let the great-granparents take care of a crying baby, that's not what uncles are for........

Since I had gone to church in the morning, I was able to head down to Dunn Bros. early and join Mike for a couple of tunes at the start of the open mic. Once again, the place was quite packed and the musician list was full throughout the night. TSA showed up at exactly 9pm (he's allowed to check out of work 7 minutes early, therefore it must take him exactly 7 minutes to get from work to Dunn Bros.), and we started discussing what we were going to play. While we were discussing it, Cody, who dispenses beverages all evening, pretty much requested an entire set. Even though he was there earlier when Mike and I played "Brian Wilson" he wanted to hear it again. Andy was game, but we decided if we're going to do the same song twice in one evening, it's going to be radically different. So it was "Brian Wilson" reggae style. Before that we did a really abreviated version of "Plastic Jesus." That song works better with a smaller crowd, there were giggles at every line.

As we were cleaning up, 3 younger guys who were hanging out at the coffee shop asked Andy where the rest of the band was. Andy was a little confused until one of them asked if we used to be in that 957 band. There wasn't much to say to them about that, but it was interesting to be recognized. We do a 957 version of "Brian Wilson," now I wish we had done that. At least three guys in the audience would have gotten it.

This morning I'm off to teach at the high school for some Art teacher who can't get into work this morning. I won't have to worry about running into Vicke because that's who I'm subbing for. She requested me......it was my understanding that she stopped requesting me about a year and a half ago........ That's my time folks, I'll be here all week, enjoy the buffet......

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives