Saturday, February 19, 2005

 

The Random Thoughts of a Guy Who's Not Drinking for a While


J&SBSB
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
I'm off to see Abby SomeOne, or as I instructed my sister to call them if she wanted to sound cool, "ASO." Sounds like their show went good last night. I'm looking forward to seeing them anyplace other than Cheers. I love Cheers because they're really good about promoting local talent, hell they even let Patient 957 play there, and even paid 3 of the 4 members of the band. Well, technically they paid us all, one of the members of the band had an outstanding bar tab that was greater than his share of the take that night. That ate into my profits a bit as well as contribuiting to breaking up a promising band.

Tonight ASO is down at Robbinsdale Lounge. If it weren't so cold out, I could ride my bike there. I've ridden my bike there before, it's about a mile away, the only problem is that it's about 400 feet lower than I am at my apartment. Robbinsdale is an OK bar, a little more blue collar than Cheers, but it has a great stage and dance floor. You can't beat it as a music venue in our little corner of the world. Too much video lottery, or "Electric Cocaine" as Shawn would call it, for my taste but it's a good place to see live music.

So I'll be hanging out in another bar during lent. Why do I do this to myself? I don't mean giving up the beer, I mean torturing myself by going to bars. Since I won't be getting Shawn and the boys to come over to my house, I guess going to a bar is my only option. That's OK, I'll make it.

In all truthfullness (if that is, in fact, a word) I haven't been too tempted. Of course, the beer is still in the fermenter, homebrew is so much more tempting than most of the stuff I can buy at a bar or liquor store. And I haven't had anything other than the afore mentioned Jager and bourbon shots since this all began. I had to dump another beer sample down the drain, and that pulled at the heartstrings pretty hard, but I made it through that, too.

Doing my part for saving the earth, I acquired a case of empty champagne bottles at last night's fundraiser. I'll recycle them in my own special way, though, cleaning them up good, removing the labels and refilling them with beer or meade.

Slappy is Jebus may be playing at the Hearitage Festival in Rapid City this summer. That would be kind of cool, but we still probably wouldn't be able to play "Two Condoms." There's plenty of places to play material like that, suprisingly few where you shouldn't. I'll have to talk to TSA about the festival and see what he thinks.

Since I promised folks I'd save them a table I oughta get headed down to the bar. If anything really cool happens tonight I'll be sure to post it as soon as I get home.


BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives