Monday, February 21, 2005

 

No Glass Allowed on the Unit

More than 24 hours without blogging? What's gotten into me? I must have been really busy or something I guess.

First of all, I want to say how dissapointed I am in Shawn and Gary, Not Abby SomeOne - let's get that straight, that they allowed me to get on stage last night and play music that wasn't original. How dare they! It's their open mic to do with what they want, but they need to be music nazis. "All cover tunes are, verbotten! You will play from 7:47 unti 8:02 MDT! We are already two minutes off schedule because some one broke a string! Mach schnell!!!!" Yeah, that would definitely make things more fun.

An open mic is not a springboard to a musical career, it's a place to have fun. It's a good place for developing your chops, for getting used to playing in front of people, but a vast majority of people there are playing music because they want to play music, they're not looking for their big break. If that's what you're looking for, go on that piece of crap "American Idol" show. Yeah, some folks show up at open mic for the express purpose to recruit for bands, and gigs have been known to be agreed on because of an open mic performance, but this activity isn't the norm. It's supposed to be fun. Don't take the fun out of it.

But enough of my yappin'. Our little open mic was a lot of fun last night even if 90% of the tunes performed were cover songs. Hell 100% of our tunes were, even if That One Guy asked me if I wrote "Brian Wilson." I wish I had, then again, if I could write songs like that I wouldn't be playing at an open mic in RCSD. My voice wasn't for crap last night and I had a hard time singing anything. "Vibrator Dependent" went OK, but trying to sing anything that required a little sensitivity was difficult. Should have stuck to the dirty material instead of doing the thought provoking. LIve and learn.

And to the three guys who had the twenty minute set up: It's an open mic! It's not your own personal concert! There were enough open channels on Shawn's board that you could have just plugged in and been done with it, next time leave the amps in the van. I'll indulge you on the drum set up, especially since he's the only guy who seemed to get it, playing a minimal drum set and being the first one ready. If you need all of your toys and distortion to enjoy yourselves, then go back to your garage, you can take as long to set up as you want there.

Man, I'm really bitchy today, aren't I? I should really just pitch this, but I wrote it so I might as well put it up where no one will read it.........

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives