Monday, February 14, 2005

 

Let Us Have a Fifth..... Song, Not Liquor.......

Give us 2.54 centimeters, we'll take 1.60934 kilometers (and a special thanks to http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/EASYlength.html ). The Slappy is Jebus fellows were scheduled to do four tunes last night, but we snuck in a fifth before Shawn could get back to the stage and stop us. Josh joined us on the Muddy Waters tunes, adding slide on "Mojo" and some cool finger-picking on "Rollin' & Tumblin'." People are really responding to those two tunes, and while I could name ten other Muddy tunes I'd like to do right off the top of my head, none have the raw energy of those two. We kept the crowd with us with Mojo Nixon's "Vibrator Dependant" and my own classic (classic?) "Two Condoms." I was putting the harps away, figuring we were done when TSA wanted to try to get the fifth tune in before Shawn noticed. So I quick grabbed my D harp and got back on stage as Andy started "Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus." One problem, "Are You Drinkin'" is in C. Ooops! Luckily the kazzo was still there from "Vibrator Dependant" and I used that in place of harp when I got to the solo. I'll probably never do that again on purpose, but it's nice to know that I've got an option in a case like that.

Shawn looked disapointed when I got the kazoo out in the first place. He asked if we were going to play BTO's "American Woman." Andy and I have actually discussed that, and if I could remember the words, we'd probably do it. With Brian back on American soil, we know a bass player who knows it and is generally in the bar on Sunday nights. A couple more tunes are in the pipeline, I'd like to do the songs we've been working on that Andy sings on, I've been doing a little work on a novelty number about the presdidents (I could have used this song when I was studying for Jeopardy!), there's a relationship song and our first attempt at a country song. We'll definitely ask Bill Brown to join us on that one, but only if he promises not to make it sound like speed metal.

A list of songs we have played on stage as a duo (I'm sure this list is incomplete, help me if I've forgotten any, TSA) in no particular order:


Got My Mojo Workin'

Rollin' & Tumblin'

Vibrator Dependent

Two Condoms

Are You Drinkin' With Me Jesus

Plastic Jesus (we need a third Jesus song so we can do some sort of Jesus medely)

Brian Wilson
Standard Version
Reggae Version
Bob Dylan Version
Patient 957 Version

I Will Survive (there's aren't nearly enough disco tunes being played at open mics)

You Don't Love Me Anymore

Martha Stewart Christmas

Spiraling Shapes (just once, but I'm sure Andy will do it again sometime soon)

Behind Blue Eyes - Instrumental (also just once, we'll be doing it again)

Beer is the Answer

Wyle E. Coyote Blues

Who's Been Talkin'

The Universe Song

Don't Do It


I also added some new photos to my open mic set on the photo site. Click the link "My Photos" on the left side of this page. I didn't intentionally put a picture of Shawn's butt up, but since it was there I only thought it fair to make a positive ID. My apologies to John and Josh for unduley taking attention away from them.

There'd be more photos of the grand-nephew, but I don't think I've seen him since I took the latest pictures that are up. That site is under my folks' name, but they've yet to put a picture of him up. They see him every day and have a camera nicer than mine, but no photos from them. They do have dial-up, so it takes a little longer to upload pictures from their house. Still, it couldn't be much easier. Old people and technology......

I'm still having trouble with the bullet mic. It was crackling like crazy during church yesterday and cutting in and out during set up last night. It's got a loose connection again so I'll have to take it out to dad and see if he can help me with it. Geez, and after I castigate old people and their prowess with technology!

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives