Sunday, February 13, 2005

 

Handwriting, Poker, Drinking & Lent

Be thankful this blog isn't handwritten (which would be a neat trick on the net). I sympathize with those who have to read my handwriting. It's so poor that even I can't read it. I sympathize with the learning center aide at the middle school who had to read my scrawled notes after I subbed for her...... sorry. I really mean it, I'm sorry!

I just found a note I'd written to myself and I can't make anything out of it. It's about a song we're going to be playing in church tomorrow. Apparently it's in the key of E. That's about all I know about it, I can't make any sense out of a single word in the title that I wrote down. Also, I don't know when in the service this song occurs. Maybe if I could remember anything about the song, I do know it was the last one we practiced today. Unfortunately along with poor handwriting I have a poor memory. That's right, I can't remember anything and taking notes does no good because I won't be able to decyper what I've written. So most things in my life are something of a suprise, it does tend to make every day interesting.

Played poker at Rancho de la TSA tonight and was awfully lucky to stay in the game as long as I did tonight. I didn't get squat for cards, and I played too many bad hands in the early going. One great hand at the right time and in the right position allowed me to knock out two players and take the chip lead over the lone remaining player. I caught a pair of aces while I was on the button. I was fortunate enough to catch the good hand, but even more fortunate because I was betting last. If I'd have been betting earlier I might have scared folks off by betting too much. As it was I was also fortunate that the two players who stayed in until the end of that hand also had decent hands that they were willing to take a chance on.

After one poorly played hand head to head against David, he had an insurmountable lead. I was holding my own with the short stack, but it was just a matter of time before he took me out. As it turned out we sort of agreed to play one hand to see if he could knock me out. I'd pretty much had enough at that point and even though I probably wouldn't have played that hand otherwise got knocked out. Congrats Dave, you win all the fake money.

The homebrew was flowing pretty freely, as was the Jagermeister. TSA was in a state I haven't seen him in too often. Ah, the joys of drinking at home. For my part the beer was tough to stay away from, though I did smell some people's glasses. I did enjoy a shot of Jager, hey, I gave up beer for lent, not alcohol! To quote Barney Gumble, "You mean six weeks with only wine!?!?" I seem to recall last year that I didn't have my first drink until a couple of weeks into lent. This year I had one on the third day. It's going to be a long lent.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives