Friday, February 18, 2005

 

A Good Long Day


Slappy is Jebus & Mike Reardon
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
It was another one of those days when I leave the house at 7am and don't get back until after 10pm. I'm not complaining, particularly when it involves playing music.

Teaching the English went OK. I love it when a teacher has a planned absence because everything's all laid out for me. Plus the students weren't 7th graders today, so all of my hair remains intact.

I got to visit my folks for lunch. They had Julian, so I had a fantastic lunch. He's such a great kid, and I just love being around him. Makes me want to have one of my own, ya know? I also stopped by after work. My folks were on their way out, but I showed them the website with a couple of "Slappy is Jebus" songs on it. They wanted me to download them onto their computer, so I did that for them. Dial-up made it take a little while, but I got that done with little trouble. I even organized them nicely on their iTunes for them.

Then it was back to Rapid City. I was playing with Mike at a county Democratic party fundraiser. That actually went pretty well, we did quite a few tunes and had a good response. There were quite a few older folks there, but they seemed to dig us.

After that Mike invited me along to play with a Celtic band at the bagel shop. Yes a Celtic band..... yes, in a bagel shop. I couldn't make this stuff. So here I was, playing a bunch of songs I've never played before, in a style I've never listened to much of. Somehow it seemed to work. Best of all I played with a guy who was playing bazooki, assuming that's how it's spelled. I actually had to ask him what it was he was playing. I was trying to pick up what chords he was playing when I realized that his instrument had 8 string and I wasn't going to pick up anything from that. We also had a flute and Irish whistle. I've now played with Irish whistle, bazooki, hammered dulcimer and didjeri doo. I do tend to hook up with the odd instrumentation.

Check out "Slappy is Jebus" and the rest of the Wednesday night open mic crowd on the web at http://www.accrossroads.com/ I implore you to give a listen to everyone one the site. Josh is an amazing guitar player, Afferent have wonderful harmonies and Willy Grigg is one of my favorite songwriter (that you've heard of or haven't heard of). A big thanks to Ken who put the site together. We got a music scene here, let's let everyone know about it!

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives