Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

Curse of the Versatile

When I think of the qualities I possess that make me me, the one I'm most proud of is versatility. I pride myself in knowing a little bit about everything, about being able to do a lot of different type of things. How many other blog writing, song writing, harmonica playing, guitar struggling, photo manipulating, beer making, pizza baking, poker playing, former Jeopardy contestant substitute teachers do you know?

So the last two days have been interesting. Both days I got assignments that were supposed to be just part of the day, but things were changed, assignments were changed and I was physically moved to another location. As I write this, I'm at lunch. After two seperate assignments, I'm availiable for a possible third in another building. I changed my plans today to be avaliable to do this for them, not on short notice, but on no notice.

And how is this rewarded? After spending an hour and a half at the middle school yesterday, I was stopped in the office on my way out. It seems the high school needed subs desperately. I got in my car and drove the short distance to the other building. I was in a classroom less than 10 minutes after leaving my previous assignment. At the end of the day, they tried to dock me 15 minutes because I wasn't in the classroom while I was driving from one building to the other. Well, we got that cleared up, but it's pretty clear how little they think of someone who's willing and able to step into any position.

How am I rewarded? Well, I'm good enough to be called in to do anything they need me to do, particularly at the last minute. Apparently I'm not good enough to even be considered for a full time position. They screwed up my application on one position I applied for. Another somehow went to the daughter of a school board member. Funny how stuff like that happens.

I don't mean to be down on the district I teach in. It's not just them, it's everywhere I've ever worked. Think about every job you've ever had. Try to honestly tell me that there wasn't one absolute idiot who got a promotion completely undesevedly. Hell, one job I had, two people in the same position as me got promotions and the stated reason from my supervisor was that they didn't do their job very well, maybe it was time for a change. Yeah, give 'em more money and responsibility so they can really screw things up. Meanwhile, I'm doing my job well, mastering my duties as well as those of others. What the hell do I get? "You're too valuable, we need you right where you are." Oh yeah, then pay me more money, asshole! Fairness and logic apparently aren't required for someone to be in a supervisory position. Having those qualities is probably what made my one stint as a supervisor so mediocre.

Being able to do everything only assures you'll stay right where you are. I've had to find that out the hard way. Unfortunately, there's really not anything I can do about it. Versatility is the best thing I do. Too bad nobody has any respect for it.


BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives