Thursday, February 17, 2005

 

Counting Backwards from 1400

Mp3 players are cool. I use Apple's iTunes and I absolutely love it. As soon as I discovered it on my computer and had added a couple of tunes into it, I was completely blown away with how easy it is to use. I have a 300 disc CD player and I thought it was awfully cool before I started using iTunes. I have so many more options to how I can listen to music than with the CD player. I can organize music any way I want, creating playlists by artist, style or mood. This is important to me because I spend a lot of time on the computer and I like to listen to music at the same time.

There are also what Apple calls smart playlists which are playlists that can do certain things. For instance there are smart playlists that will playback my songs with the most plays or the songs I have rated the highest. While I was going through my master playlist though I realized that there were a lot of songs that I took the time to encode, but have never played in iTunes. I have over 4200 songs encoded, but I've never listened to about 1400 of them. So I created a smart playlist to play back songs that have a playcount of zero. The idea is to play this playlist until I've eventually listened to everything I've encoded. So, while typing this, the total on this smart playlist dropped below 1400. It'll take a while to get rid of all the zeros (3.9 days is what iTunes tells me) but as much as I listen to music, I know I'll get there.

Nice show at Dunn Bros. tonight. My sister and niece dropped by. That's another reason I like doing all ages shows, my 14 year old niece has never seen me play before. She got to see a little of the open mic scene that I enjoy so much, got to see cool artists like Willy Grigg. She got to see TSA and me play some "Slappy is Jebus" material as well as some tunes we did with Mike Reardon.

We played our set with Mike tonight which is always fun. We started out with Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Walk on the Ocean" then busted into "Who's Been Talkin'," "Mojo," "Brian Wilson" and finished up with Dylan's "I Will Be Released." I really liked doing Mike's two tunes because I get to do the things I like most, play harp and sing backup. "Walk on the Ocean" and "I Will Be Released" have these really great harmonies in the choruses that are just a blast for me to sing, and not having to worry about singing lead let's me to do whatever I want on harp. I've learned to enjoy singing lead, my singing on "Mojo" is getting a little wilder every time now, but I'm still a lot more comfortable in the background. Give me time, but let me do some of what I like, too.

BOJ

Comments:
I don't have anywhere near that many songs...

But the ones I do have I listen to ad naseum...

BTW, to keep up our little game;

"You never want to take that chance! I want to take a chance!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives