Monday, February 28, 2005

 

Congrats TSA, MonyP and Others From My Past....


Logo
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
First things first, a big huzzah to TSA for winning all of the fake money on Saturday night. He played well and by all rights should have knocked me out earlier. I won a big pot by sucking out a full house on the river against him when I was clearly beat. If not for that, he would have had to wipe the floor with Erica much earlier than he did.

Congrats are also in order for the eighth grade social studies class who defeated me in US History trivia this morning. Since I made them tell all the other classes that I beat them the last time I played against that class, they made me tell every class that they beat me today. It's only fair, I guess. In my defense, I allowed them two questions for every one of mine this morning. They really took advantage of the opportunity, they didn't miss any questions and (gasp!) I actually missed one art question. It was fun as always. Man, eighth graders are sure a lot more fun that seventh graders!

MonyP just emailed me to say that she also once beat me in naming Candian rock bands. We took turns naming rock bands who hail from our northern neighbors, the one who couldn't come up with one or reapeated one already used would be the loser. The loser was me. Thanks for reminding me of my shortcomings.

Oh yeah, a girl in college once beat me in a game of Jeopardy! that we were doing in the student union. I had been smacking people around all day, the girlfriend's roommate thought she could take me out, no dice. A couple of law students fell by the wayside. Then a girl I knew from program council spanked me by running the category "First Line of Shakespeare." She never let me forget it either. She was from Correctionville, Iowa. I have no idea why that would be relevent, but I remember it because I always thought it was a cool name for a town.

Slappy is Jebus closed down the open mic last night. With a big assist by Uncle Bill Brown on the bass, we brought it home with "Got My Mojo Workin'." We've discoverd that we can't open with that song, because it really trashes my voice. But when I know it's going to be the last song of the evening, that I won't be using my voice for anything important for 3 more days, I really let fly. Muddy Waters was blessed with the voice he had. I'm sure he smoked and drank himself to a voice like that, he lived a hard life and was a relatively old man by the time people got to know who he was and appreciate that voice. Me, well, I just fake it. Hurts like hell, too. I had an announcing teacher in college who told me specifically not to do what I do on that song. I can't help it, it sounds so damn cool!

That crazy girl from that crazy state (she needs a shorter nickname) was at the open mic last night. She was a 957 fan who was dissapointed when we broke up. Yep, we've dissapointed people in more than one time zone, we do rock! We were able to talk Shawn into letting us close things out last night so she could see us. Lord knows it's rare enough for me to do anything that pleases a lady that late at night.......

So, like the logo? It wasn't my first idea and it's dirivitive of the old 957 logo, but I wanted to get something out there even if it does suck. Maybe now people will yell "Your Logo Sucks!" at us when we play. At least it will be less personal for TSA.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives