Friday, February 11, 2005

 

Clarification

Spent last evening at TSA's place. This giving up beer thing for lent got it's first real test as his batch of Chamay style Belgian Ale has just come on line. All I can tell you is that it smelled great. Last year as I gave up beer, it was easier because I only had to resist the commerical produced brew I ran into in a bar. This year, though, Andy has two batches of home brew in bottles, just begging to be drunk. Also, I've got my own batch, taunting me as it thumps away in the closet. So I'm two days into this, and my thoughts are pretty much continuously about beer. This is gonna be hard!

Mike Reardon was over at Chateau d'TSA as well last night. We got together to play some tunes. Mike does really solid lead work on a guitar, while Andy is a rock solid rhythm player. Mike and I are both trying to learn how not to step all over each other when time comes for a solo, but we're getting there. Learned some new tunes and just noodled around for the rest of the evening. I even picked up an available 6 string and played a few tunes. I dug out the neck rack for the first time in a while and did a couple of thing. Then Mike had Andy and I play some really simple rhythm stuff while he played leads over the top of it. I still had the rack on, so I added a little harp when I could. For the first time ever I improvised on harmonica while playing guitar. Well, while playing guitar intermittently. I played as much as I could, but dropped guitar for harmonica whenever nescessary. Everything sounded good and it was a really good time.

During some of the exchanging of tunes we started talking about the appropriateness of certain tunes for an all ages show. For the record, after hearing "Vibrator Dependant" & "Two Condoms" Mike assured us that they weren't appropriate, funny as hell, but not appropriate. Since Mike had never seen Andy and I play in a bar before, I think he got an idea of how we're sometimes a little stiffled playing an all ages show. We make do, though, and have a lot of fun anyway.

Mike is playing at the Chop House on the shores of picturesque Canyon Lake tonight. TSA is at work, but he asked if I wanted to stop by and do a tune or two. I'm getting pretty comfortable with the tunes he does now, so I may just pack the harps in the car and stop by.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives