Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 

Weather & Harmonicas

This weather is making a liar out of me! When friends in California found out I was moving back to South Dakota, they all mentioned the weather. How would I deal with the weather? Rapid City, I explained, is on the leeward side of the Black Hills, our climate is relatively mild considering out lattitude. Sure it may snow 6 inches on Wednesday, but that snow would be gone by the weekend.

That's the way things are supposed to work, anyway. Last Wednesday we got about 6 inches of snow. It wasn't gone by the weekend, it probably won't be gone by this coming weekend. It hasn't been above freezing since the snow fell. We've still got a lot of snow around, and with the temperatures expected to drop even further this week, I don't think we'll be seeing bare ground any time soon. On the other hand, without the daily freeze and thaw, the snow has stayed white. It's actually aesthetically improved the regular January look of this town.

It's not that we can do anything about it. Life goes on weather it's 60 degrees or minus 20. I've still got to get groceries and change the oil in my car. I had to buy yet another harmonica today, no matter how cold it was outside. If you play with enough people, someone will eventually want to play in a key that you don't have. Sometimes I think it's a game of "Stump the Harp Player" that I keep losing. There is joy in a new harmonica, you just can't wait to play it. Part of that is because you can't play it in the store. Well, you could, but then you have to buy it. No, I wait until I get into the car and play it all the way to my next destination. A lot of the fun in that is just being able to create something while you drive. Another part is watching other drivers look at you, it's not something the average commuter expects to see. I just give 'em a wave and keep playing.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives