Wednesday, January 26, 2005

 

Slappy is Jebus


"Always Packin'"
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
Killer open mic tonigh! Have I mentioned that I really love open mics? Anyway, Dunn Bros. coffee puts on this really fun little open mic on Wednesday nights. It's all ages, which precludes TSA and me from playing some of our more popular material. I'm really in favor of an all ages show. I've talked to some of the students at school, telling them about it, urging them to come out and play. I wish I had started this kind of thing years ago. I wasted all that time drinking in bars when I could have been playing in bars!

TSA's little brother showed tonight along with a friend and about half of the sophomore class at Stevens High. SSA (six string Arich) and his friend did a couple of tunes. It was so much fun for me to watch, as I remember the first time I played in front of people, how different it is from playing in your living room. It's always little things. I could see SSA's friend struggling with the microphone. You see, nobody ever sings into a microphone at home. You can be the greatest singer in the world, but it won't matter if you haven't learned how to sing into a mic effectively. Sitting on a stool can be different. I won't even mention the nerves. I hope they, and other younger folks, keep showing up at the open mic.

TSA and I put on a really nice set with Mike Reardon offering some great lead guitar work. We did a bluesy set. We hadn't played "Got My Mojo Workin'" in a long time, and I think we were both surprised at how good it sounded. Mike added a couple of songs, and I love when he sings on Dylan's "I Will Be Released" because a) I like Mike's singing and b) I get to just play harp and not have to worry about taking it out of my mouth for anything.

We were supposed to do 3 songs, but we ended up doing 5, the crowd (such as it was) wanting to hear more. That's always a rush, even if it is only about 8 people requesting more.

So, I haven't referenced this yet on the blog, but TSA and I are going by "Slappy is Jebus." The "is" should be italicized, but I don't know how to do that on this blog. The story of where the name came from is long and boring, and like most things Andy and I do, started out as a joke. We decided we wanted Shawn to call us "Slappy is Jebus" at the Cheers open mic, with the "is" really accentuated and stretched out. Unfortunately I can't really type how the "is" sounds, TSA referred to it as "pig vomit," so I guess we'll go with that. So we thought it would be funny to make Shawn say it like that, then the next week change our name. Shawn tried to avoid saying it, but then did it exactly right. The next week he did it again, without being asked. It sounded so good, we started to actually like it. My favorite story about "Slappy is Jebus" was from Josh who referred to us as "Laughing at Jesus" when he followed us on the stage. Our name has been bastardized! How cool is that!?! That's what we'd be called if we were ever parodied in Mad Magazine!

I'm not really sure why I posted the photo with this blog, but how many times does a guy get to put up a photo of the crotch on the internet? OK, how many times do I get to do it? Maybe the next blog will be about the origins of the name "Blind Orange" Julius........

"I love South America! Y'know, Jimmy, that's the land of the great Delta Blues men. You know, Muddy Rivers, Crew Cut Johnson, Blind Orange Julius. All the great blues men are from South America."

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives