Thursday, January 20, 2005

 

Peggy Hill

Your tax dollars at work, I taught Spanish yesterday. From the phone message I got this morning, apparently they wanted me to teach Spanish again today, why the phone didn't ring in my bedroom I have no idea. OK, it's true I lived in southern California for 5 years and worked at a facility that broadcast pay-per-view movies to Central and South America. That really only means I've been exposed to Spanish, that if I hear someone speaking Spanish I don't go "hey, what's that?" Admittedly I speak a little Spanish, but what I picked up generally isn't suitable for classroom use.

So what'd we do for 5 periods of Spanish class yesterday? I was at a real disadvantage, as the teacher had taken ill overnight and it was the first day of a new semester. Luckily, there was a videotape of a biography of Carlos Santana in the room. The teacher suggested I play that. That was fine for the students, I had to watch it 5 times. And what's worse, no questions on Carlos Santana came up while playing trivia at Boston's with TSA and Mike.

Still, it was easy money for me. Come into class, take roll, joke with the kids that I don't speak any Spanish then turn off the lights and play a video for 43 minutes. Repeat as nescessary. Every time I think my life completely stinks, I have a day like that. Get paid to do nothing, get to see the grand-nephew, get to play music in front of people, get to drink beer and play trivia. Supper was leftovers, so life isn't perfect, but acceptable.

The laundry is really piling up. I need to find some quarters and do a load or five.


BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives