Tuesday, January 18, 2005

 

"Drunker Than Cooter Brown"


"Drunker Than Cooter Brown"
Originally uploaded by Blind Orange Julius.
Ran into Brian at the open mic on Sunday. Just as Patient 957 was really getting going, Brian's uncle sent him off to an undisclosed location for a couple of months.

August was a heady time for me. I was in a band that people wanted to see, that bar owners wanted to pay. The rest of my life was a mess, but at least I was in a cool band, that had to count for something. We had played a couple of shows, had opened for a national touring act had booked a return engagement at a bar in Spearfish.

Then Brian was told he would be spending the next couple of months on a strip of land in the Indian Ocean. As we were trying to figure out how to handle the next show (replacement bass player, do show as a 3 piece) JB decided he didn't want to be in the band anymore. His stated reason was that he wanted to do his own thing. I've got my doubts, I heard different reason, though I heard them second hand. That's neither here nor there. All of a sudden my life was a mess, and the one cool part of my life had come crashing down.

In truth, I had considered quitting 957 for a couple of weeks when all of this happened. There are lots of reasons why I didn't, but the main one was that I had decided I would continue to play with the guys as long as it was fun on stage. Since it always was, I kept plugging away and just dealt with all of the other stuff as best I could.

I guess what brings all this back is running into Brian. The same night I also ran into Nate. Nate had recorded our first show in Spearfish and we had considered releasing the recording as an album. I even started working on an album cover.

As it turned out the mix on the recording was horrible. Nate and JB had mixed it, and somehow all you could hear was JB's voice. I want to chalk that up to them not knowing what they were doing, but considering how thinks worked out it sort of makes you wonder.

Brian asked TSA and I on Sunday if we wanted a copy of that show. I only heard it once but wasn't happy with it. I don't know if listening to that would bring back positive or negative memories. Brian gave me a CD of photos from one of our last shows. My first impression is how happy we all looked. It did serve to remind me that we actually had a good time playing together, something that had slipped my mind over time.

The same night, TSA and I played a song from the old 957 repetoire for the first time. It was the old Gloria Gaynor disco hit "I Will Survive." The more I think about it, the more fitting it was that we played that song on that night.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives