Friday, January 21, 2005

 

Catching Up

Boy do I feel like an adult today! Teaching High School generally does that to me anyway, but today I feel more like an adult than ever before. I have this thing with women, I date them, eventually break up with them (i.e. they dump me) and I almost always leave town soon after. I mean it, I'm not comfortable running into women I used to date. It's weird, and since I'm usually somewhat angry about the whole deal it can be really akward.

With the ex-wife I didn't really have any choice but to leave town. I had to leave the apartment, and since I had no place to go, no family or anyone I could stay with I had to leave town. I ended up in Omaha to crash with a friend, who ironically was in Sioux Falls that week. Oh well, made me get better acquainted with my family.

And so it goes, it's probably just simple cowardace on my part. Maybe more inexperience, I'm not quite sure of what to say to someone I've seen naked who doesn't want me to see them naked anymore. In any case, it was just simpler to leave town, at the very least to avoid this other person.

So, I've been substitute teaching for a while now. It's something I probably should have started a lot earlier, since it's something I'm relatively good at, it pays pretty well and it's a real need in the district I teach in. I didn't start earlier because of Vicke. Now there's nothing particularly wrong with Vicke except that she didn't want to be my girlfriend anymore. On the other hand, it's sort of hard not to take that personally. Anyway, I could have taught middle school or grade school, but that's just not what I'm cut out to do. Some people are, and I admire them for having a skill that I don't think I ever will. I've done some middle school, but I really find myself exhausted at the end of the day. No, for me it's got to be high school if I'm going to keep all of my hair on any given day. Vicke was a complication because she teaches at the high school.

On Wednesday, regular readers of this blog will remember me posting about Wednesday, I taught Spanish. As I headed down the hall, I found myself getting closer and closer to Vicke's room. I ended up right across the hall from her. I had resigned myself to the fact that we'd probably run into each other during the day. It didn't happen, though I'll admit it wasn't as big a relief as I imagined it would have been. At the end of the day I just packed up and left, no big sigh ofCat relief or anything.

So today I'm coming back from the office heading back to my assigned classroom. Just as I'm heading into my room, I saw her out of the corner of my eye. I wasn't exactly sure it was her, I hadn't seen her in over a year and I was looking the other way, but it was probably her. No big deal. I just had a seat and started doing some writing, preparing for the next class. It was lunch period, and a couple of students were in the room. Vicke came in a few minutes later. "I know you!" I said, sounding as casual as I could. Oddly enough, I felt pretty casual.

So, we sat and talked for a few moments. We had met as friends. She worked with my sister and we got to know each that way. It sort of felt like just picking up. I hadn't seen her in over a year, so we had lots of catching up to do. It was nice.

BOJ

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Bert Convey
Principle
Friends' Blogs
My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm not telling you anything...

archives